Tuesday 30 April 2019

Tuesday April 30

Yesterday a Great White Egret was photographed a couple of flaps away, in a field near Studley church. It was last seen heading in the general direction of Morton Bagot. Was I here? Was I hell. Gluten free fish and chip night and the final of Only Connect won out.

So in a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted I turned up tonight hoping a large white heron would make itself known. Well I saw a Heron (Grey) and a large white bird (Mute Swan...actually two) but there was nothing that fitted the bill.

This Saturday the annual West Midlands alldayer is due to take place once again, and I intend to take part. I am slightly stymied by tickets for the Stratford Literary Festival in the early evening, but I'm still keen.

With that in mind, one or two birds this evening would be very handy if they were still around on the big day. A Green Sandpiper and five Teal remain at the flash field, and a couple of Starlings flew in. They are generally absent once Spring kicks in. The Cuckoo was still calling, but the Grasshopper Warbler wasn't. Also absent were the Wheatears, but the Little Owl made an appearance (another very missable bird).

Little Owl
In previous years Willow Warbler has been tough to find, but this year one has set up territory and was showing well this evening.

Willow Warbler
One disappointment, apart from the GW Egret, was a person walking through the flash field late in the evening. I watched him/her from the corner of Bannams Wood, and as far as I could tell they were neither a birder nor a dog-walker. Just someone out for a stroll I suppose, but I wish they'd have picked a different field.


No comments:

Post a Comment