Wednesday 24 April 2019

Wednesday April 24

The mini-heatwave seems to be over, and this evening it was ever so slightly chilly. Still dry though, and mostly sunny. I was tempted to make an evening visit, although I had already heard that the Avocets were still present.

So I started at Netherstead. The Grasshopper Warbler seems to moved on, or maybe he's just found a mate and shut up. The little reedbed was quite noisy though because there are now two male Sedge Warblers singing at each other.

I had a scan of the horse field, which was pretty productive. A single Fieldfare reminded that winter was so long ago, but it was sharing the field with at least three Wheatears and 10 Pied Wagtails. As hoped, a Cuckoo was calling in the distance.

Fieldfare and Wheatear
Rabbit
The Rabbit was the first of several species of mammals seen during the course of the evening. Unsurprisingly dusk is a better time to see mammals than mid-day. Along with three Muntjacs (including a fawn with its mum), and a Roe Deer was my first Red Fox of the year.

Fox hunting small mammals
I had time to stroll to the flash field where, sure enough, the Avocets were still present. There was also at least seven Teal, several Lapwings, a Little Ringed Plover, and a Green Sandpiper.

Sleeping Avocets
On the walk back I spent about ten minutes trying to see an oddly singing sylvia warbler. It was a continual warbling, appropriately enough. My mind raced through the rare sylvias as I discounted Garden Warbler and the Whitethroats. Eventually I discovered what it was. A Lesser Whitethroat which had decided not to end its song with the usual rattle. I think there were two birds in close proximity which might account for the unusual song.

I had forgotten what fun an evening visit can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment