Saturday 20 April 2019

Saturday April 20

Last night we returned from visiting a friend in Ross-on Wye and found that Mike Lane had been trying to contact me, I had left my phone at home, and he had eventually emailed me an absolutely fantastic photograph of a singing Grasshopper Warbler he had found at Morton Bagot that evening.

Another person who had been trying to get my attention was Jeff Preston, a regular at Marsh Lane gravel pit. On Thursday afternoon he had visited the Flashes and found three Avocets, which were still there when he left at 17.00.  This was the second record for the site. Needless to say I wish I'd seen them too.

So my plans changed, and I was up with the lark this morning, arriving at Netherstead at 07.30. Thankfully the bird was still there and singing so loudly that I could hear it before I turned the engine of the car off. It took another 30 minutes before I was able to see it, but it soon took to landing on the posts in front of the small reedbed, and thus showing brilliantly.

Grasshopper Warbler
While taking a shedload of shots, I also heard a Sedge Warbler singing in the same reedbed. It however was far less showy, and I only managed a brief glimpse of it in flight.

I decided to head for the road with another common migrant in mind, and sure enough I got a brief view of a House Martin.

Eventually I headed away from Netherstead, soon adding a singing Willow Warbler  to the day list.

Willow Warbler
Further on, the first of three Lesser Whitethroats gave its trademark rattle, and staying true to type was all but invisible. Spring is now in full swing, and four Whitethroats and three Blackcaps joined the throng.

The only place to let me down was the Flash Field. I could only see seven Black-headed Gulls, a handful of Teal, a brood of newly hatched Mallard, and the usual Lapwings. No Avocets were present.

I had to curtail the visit because Lyn and I had plans to see each of my parents, shop etc. But there was still time to see a few butterflies; Orange-tip, Speckled Woods, and Small Tortoiseshells before returning to the car.

Orange-tip
Here I spotted Mark Islip heading to the Ring Ouzel field (I had made a quick scan of it without seeing anything), so I called him over to see the Gropper, and I'm pleased to say I also spotted Mike Inskip on my drive home, and gave him the news. He later saw it well.

I love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment