Wednesday 17 April 2019

Wednesday April 17

With the temperature steadily rising this week I found myself in something of a quandary this evening. Moths or birds? I decided on both, so attempted to rush home. Ninety minutes after leaving work I struggled through the door, grumpy as hell. With time ebbing away, more decisions were required. Do I go and see if the Ring Ouzel(s) were still there (Nick Barlow had reported just the female for yesterday), or do I check the flash field? The weather felt humid and still; so it had to be the flash field.

Its a long time since I went to the patch after work, and it told. I left my scope at home, forgetting how quickly the light would disappear. How I missed it.

As I arrived I heard a tringa type wader call. It didn't sound quite right for Green Sandpiper, but it could have been that. I was thinking Common Sandpiper. A scan of the nearest flash produced a wader, but it was a Dunlin.

Dunlin
A good start, but try as I might I couldn't see any other waders apart from Snipe and Lapwings. Turning my attention to the furthest flash I found a tringa. Oh for a scope. Eventually I saw it well enough to see it was a Green Sandpiper. The light had gone, but just as I was leaving I heard that call again. I scanned the nearest flash in vain but nothing appeared.

Lets hope the moths can rescue the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment