Saturday 1 October 2022

Saturday October 1 - Earlswood, Rock Pipit twitch

 The main reason I had been visiting Tardebigge Reservoir this week was the hope of finding a Rock Pipit there. It looks ideal for one, but doesn't have the track record of Earlswood. The other thing it didn't have was heavy rain, or at least not by the time I left. 

Later on, during yesterday afternoon, the rain arrived, and so did a Rock Pipit. But not at Tardebigge (as far as I know), it was found by Matt Griffiths on his patch at Earlswood Lakes. I got a message yesterday evening as I was watching the cricket and cooking the dinner. Too inconvenient.

So I got up this morning to find another message, this time confirming its continued presence. I headed off straight away and joined Matt and John S who had been watching the bird. It was not in view at first, but then flew in front of us to alight on another part of the causeway where it walked along the concrete and periodically disappeared into the bordering grass strip.

Rock Pipit

Rock Pipit

Although Rock Pipits are almost annual at Earlswood, my only experience of them within the Circle has been two fly overs at Morton Bagot. Seeing one on the ground was something I haven't experienced for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment