Thursday 13 October 2022

Thursday October 13 - Tardebigge area

A mild, sunny October morning tempted me to give Tardebigge another go. I had devised a circular route beginning and ending at Tardebigge church, and taking in the reservoir. I think it was a pretty decent plan, and deserved more success than it got.

The churchyard famously hosted Hawfinches last winter (and in previous ones) but I had failed to connect. I was probably too early in the winter, but there were enough Chaffinches and Greenfinches feeding on the Yews to keep me interested. Eventually I left the churchyard and walked along the road passed High House Farm. Several Skylarks and Meadow Pipits called as they flew over, and I broke my winter thrush duck as six Redwings hurried south. I also heard a Siskin.

Once I reached the reservoir I saw it was heavily disturbed by fishermen but still contained the usual Mallard, Black-headed Gulls, and Great Crested Grebes (three). At least the Tufted Duck count had risen slightly to 17. 

Walking back along the canal it occurred to me that I still hadn't found anything worth photographing, so when the second Chiffchaff of the day was found flicking around in a large sallow, I was tempted to give it a go.

Chiffchaff

Not my best effort. 

There was a Yellow-browed Warbler in north Warwickshire yesterday. One day maybe I'll focus on one around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment