Saturday 15 October 2022

Saturday October 15 - tick 'n run

 Once you commit yourself to a year list, even an #LocalBigYear, you have to accept that birds will come to your notice at awkward moments.

Today I had just returned from Shirley with my Mum, and was preparing lunch for the three of us when my phone pinged. Josh Toogood was letting me know that a Whooper Swan had been found at Lower Bittell Res this morning.

I hurriedly switched to "anxious face", and Lyn and my mum knew lunch would be delayed. But not by much. Josh's excellent info meant I knew exactly where to park, where to stride to (I don't really do running any more), and where the bird should be viewed from.

Whooper Swan

So this was about as efficient a twitch as it was possible to do. I was back in the house, equilibrium restored, within 40 minutes.

It's not really birding, but a tick's a tick. I think it might even be a Bittell tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment