Tuesday 25 October 2022

Tuesday October 25 - over thinking it

 My #LocalBigYear list making is starting to get a bit obsessive. Late yesterday afternoon I was tipped off that there was a Pochard at Lower Bittell. The part of me which was saying go there immediately was trumped by a little voice saying it's only a Pochard, there'll be another one.

I also had another plan in mind. A few days ago Dave Jackson recorded a Hawfinch flying over his garden in Redditch. Tardebigge church sometimes attracts Hawfinches, its half term (possibly), so the school there should be quiet. This could be the day to go.

The upshot was that I went to Tardebigge. School children were playing in the school, roofers were noisily roofing and my chances of finding a Hawfinch shrank from negligible to no chance. I did however locate a Chiffchaff as minor compensation. A flock of 40 Fieldfares heading west was the only evidence of visible migration.

I also walked to the reservoir which was fisherman free, and with the cats away, the mice were playing. In this case nine Goosanders (my first of the autumn) and 11 Cormorants. The Tufted Duck flock had expanded to 20 birds.

All nine

A closer look

I still had Lower Bittell up my sleeve, and so I went there next. It wasn't bad at all, but the Pochard was missing. As compensation I discovered that the Whooper Swan was still present, and also located a female Pintail which I didn't know was there. I've since found out it was seen at the weekend.

Whooper Swan

Pintail

Without official access its very difficult to watch Lower Bittell well enough to see everything. My Tufted Duck count rose from 15 (from the canal towpath) to 28 when I sneaked down the access drive to the gate. There are quite a few blind spots.

Other birds present included 10 Shovelers, eight Gadwall, 25 Mute Swans, four Wigeon, two Teal and 15 Little Grebes plus an unknown number of wildfowl which were out of view.

Further attempts to see this Pochard seem inevitable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment