Tuesday 11 October 2022

Tuesday October 9 - Mostly Lower Bittell

 For me, October has been pretty disappointing so far. This is entirely typical of birding in the Midlands, but somehow I allow my expectations to rise to unrealistic levels. I haven't even seen or heard a Redwing yet.

My latest throw of the dice was to visit Lower Bittell Reservoir. I parked at Alvechurch Fishing Pools, and had a nice surprise when I spotted a drake Mandarin on the canal. It was accompanying a couple of Mallard and was similarly unphased by my close proximity.


Mandarin 

Further along the towpath I was able to scope the reservoir, and to establish that I was not going to find either a Pochard nor a Goldeneye (both on my shopping list of birds I need for the #LocalBigYear list). There didn't even appear to be any Tufted Ducks.

Nevertheless there was a good quantity of wildfowl present. Mostly Mallard, but also two Gadwall, nine Shovelers, six Teal, and three Wigeon. More impressive, numbers-wise, were 33 Mute Swans, 40 Moorhens, 20 Little Grebes, and seven Great Crested Grebes. Herons were represented by four Grey Herons and a Little Egret which flew in. 

No Redwings flew over, but the blue sky wasn't helpful for visible migration. I recorded a Skylark and a couple of Meadow Pipits

I decided to head for Morton Bagot in the hope of seeing and photographing the Willow Emerald Damselfly. Sadly, it was a no show, and the only birds on the flash field were two Green Sandpipers and a Snipe.

Things can only get better...surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment