Friday 11 October 2024

Friday October 11 - Earlswood Lakes

 Early this morning the temperature had plunged to zero, and I found myself scraping the frost off the car and wondering how I had missed the aurora borealis visible to so many overnight. I looked, it wasn't there.

The plan was to revisit Earlswood where both the Yellow-browed Warbler and the Lesser Whitethroat had been seen again yesterday. I was particularly keen to see the latter because John Oates' photographs showed a bird with plumage tones suggestive of the Siberian race blythi. Unfortunately without capturing it or obtaining a dropping to check its DNA there was little chance to prove it either way.

I arrived in bright sunshine and saw four Snipe and a Shoveler on Engine Pool.



I'd convinced myself that conditions overnight would have persuaded my target species' to head off to who knows where, and on reaching the pumping station there was nothing to suggest otherwise. A flock of 11 Redwings heading south was all I had to show for fifteen minutes of standing around.

John Oates arrived and offered to show me where he had seen the Lesser Whitethroat. Shortly before we arrived at the spot, a welcome "chi-wee" told us that at least the Yellow-browed Warbler was still present. More standing around ensued, followed by a little exploring, before the bird in question showed itself. Unfortunately it was in a sallow between us and the fierce morning sun, so my faint hope of getting a photograph in the thirty seconds or so available went out of the window.

There was also no sign of the Lesser Whitethroat. One good thing about standing around chatting, apart from the company, was the opportunity to record whatever was flying over. Thus we added several Skylarks, a Siskin, Meadow Pipits, and more Redwings to the morning's haul.

A few more birders arrived but by the time I had to leave, the Yellow-browed had fallen silent and could not be relocated. My final noteworthy record came from Malthouse car-park where I heard a Redpoll flying over.

No comments:

Post a Comment