Wednesday 9 October 2024

Wednesday October 9 - Yellow browed Warbler at Earlswood

What is it they say? "I love it when a plan comes together." I visited Earlswood Lakes this morning with Yellow-browed Warbler firmly in mind. 

My plan was to study the bushes carefully and hope for the best, a bit like every October day to date. It never works.....until it does.

I'd reached the Scrublands at the end of Windmill Pool, and heard a Chiffchaff. Shortly afterwards I heard a different call. It was distant, but sounded like a Yellow-browed Warbler. I couldn't quite believe it, so chose not to. Instead I headed along the dog-walkers track towards the road hoping I would hear it again. There was nothing doing, so I returned to the pumping station where I almost immediately heard it again. The more it called, the more sure I was. I decided to take the plunge and inform the Whatsapp Group.



The occasional "che-wee" calls on this lovely video of a Sallow bush are made by the bird. The much closer calls are made by Robins etc. 

About half an hour later John Oates arrived, and he wasn't messing about. It started calling again, so we waded towards the sallows. He played a recording of its call at it and like magic the bird appeared. We had sufficient views to confirm it, big eyestripe, two wing-bars, the lot. What a star.

I couldn't have been happier. The only downside was that neither of us got photos. A little while after John Sirrett arrived I had to leave, but John Oates was still intending to get a shot so I'm hopeful of a result later on.

While we listened for it, a Siskin and seven Redwings flew over.
 
PS: Early in the afternoon John Oates managed a record shot of the bird which he has kindly allowed me to include on the blog. 

Yellow-browed Warbler - John Oates

I've also heard that John Sirrett saw the bird and also a Lesser Whitethroat. Interesting!

1 comment: