Sunday, 6 September 2026

Morton Bagot - Sunday September 6

The day after the alldayer invariably supplies birds which failed to show up on the big day. Today was no exception. The big news from Earlswood was an Osprey found by John Oates at 08:00. It remained for about fifteen minutes before heading south, but I think if I'd had the opportunity to go for it, I would almost certainly have arrived just too late.

It was all change at Morton Bagot too. The ringers opted for Spernal STW, while I joined Dave for our usual mid-morning circuit. 

We had a brilliant time, the sort of day that makes you wish the WestMidsAlldayer was a weekend event, and not just for one day. I reckon if you tallied up Earlswood, Morton Bagot, and Spernal's total for the two days you'd get a figure of 82 species.

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. As I clambered out of my car at Netherstead, Dave had already spotted two Stonechats in the usual spot. Whilst trying to relocate them I spotted a male Redstart and a Lesser Whitethroat. Not bad for starters.

Redstart

Lesser Whitethroat

In addition we saw the first of an eventual seven Common Whitethroats before hearing a Yellow Wagtail calling as it flew over. Five minutes later it either returned, or another one went over. Unfortunately neither of us managed to actually see it/them. We then repeated the feat with a heard only Meadow Pipit, the first here this autumn.

We'd have been reasonably happy if that had been our lot, but the day just kept getting better. Another Stonechat and a Whinchat were in the scrape field, and although we couldn't see much more than a few Teal and Green Sandpipers on the furthest flash, things improved at the nearest. The big highlight was when Dave spotted there were Spotted Flycatchers hunting from the hedge which divided the nearest flash from the Kingfisher Pool. It soon became apparent there were at least five there, plus another Redstart (this time a female/immature), Chiffchaff and Blackcap. We were willing one of the Spotted Flys to morph into a Pied Fly, but you can't have everything.

Spotted Flycatcher

Instead regular scans of the nearest flash gave us 30 Teal and eight Lapwings.

By now I was running a bit late, so we had to up the pace. Nevertheless we located a Whinchat on the tree guards, before Dave heard a Tree Pipit calling as we reached the raptor watch point. Fortunately for me I heard it's third "speez" so could add it to my year list.

Whinchat

Meanwhile the ringers were having a decent time at Spernal. They caught five Cetti's Warblers, a Reed Warbler, and a Sedge Warbler, all species which were additional to anything seen at Earlswood or Morton Bagot this weekend.

Butterflies seen included Clouded Yellow, Brown Argus, Common Blues, Small Coppers, and Small Heaths, and we also saw Silver Y (moth), and Dark Bush Cricket.

If only every weekend could be like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment