A fine sunny morning with a very light breeze. Nevertheless I went to Earlswood Lakes, and to my surprise my visit coincided with a couple of better than average birds.
I was at the south end of Windmill Pool when a Greenshank turned up. John Oates Whatsapp'd that it was flying around Engine Pool (where I'd been thirty minutes earlier). Fortunately within five minutes of his message I heard distant calls, which got progressively louder until the bird itself came into view and landed on the mud not too far from where I was stood.
| Greenshank |
It stayed for barely a minute, calling regularly, before it decided Earlswood was not up to scratch and it flew off over the scrublands to the south.
John had also mentioned that a Wheatear was in the horse paddocks near the craft centre, so I headed that way and duly located it.
| Wheatear |
Surprisingly, despite messages which indicated that John, Matt and Janet were all wandering around, I never set eyes on any of them before it was time to leave.
My botanical efforts remain a little frustrating. I successfully followed John's instructions to locate some Hart's Tongue ferns at the side of Engine Pool, but attempts to find anything new for myself fell foul of my inability to "see" (or frankly understand) the necessary features of plants which my app told me I was looking at. At least I know they won't fly away, so I could try again with better preparation.
| Hart's Tongue |
One step forward, two steps back at the moment.
I reckon you're correct with Spear-leaved Orache. Looks like the stuff that proliferates at the Flashes.
ReplyDeleteCheers Mike, I was hoping someone would confirm or correct me.
ReplyDelete