Sunday, 27 September 2026

Sunday September 27

 We got back home on Friday so I took the opportunity to put the moth trap out. The following morning 36 moths of 11 species were located in and around the trap. These included three species new for the year; Northern Deep-brown Dart, Brindled Green, and Garden Carpet.


Also present was a single caddisfly called Limnephilus lunatus. 


This morning dawned rather grey with showers. I had to decide whether to go to Morton Bagot or to Earlswood. I made the wrong call.

At Morton Bagot I came across about 100 Stock Doves, while the Chat Field for once contained some Chats, namely four Stonechats, plus at least six Reed Buntings and several Blackcaps. The flash field contained Teal and Snipe, but they were hugging the weedy edge of the nearest flash and so were hard to record accurately.

Meanwhile at Earlswood a couple of Common Terns were followed by a fly around Grey Plover. The latter was a real coup, but was only seen by John and Matt before it headed off. Later a Great White Egret had settled in trees on Terry's Pool. 

As luck would have it, late in the afternoon a consolation prize was on offer when Matt found 11 Golden Plovers in the "Plover Field" between Forshaw Heath and Inkford. I decided to try for them as I hadn't seen the species this year, and rather to my surprise managed to locate them.

I'll settle for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment