Friday, 18 September 2026

Friday September 17 - Weekly roundup

It's always a bad sign when I title a post "weekly roundup". What it means is that I've tried my best and come up with not a lot.

On Tuesday I walked around two of the lakes at Earlswood and saw nothing better than a Little Egret and the 5cy Yellow-legged Gull. I did at least take a photograph of a bird.

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Morton Bagot on Thursday wasn't much cop either. I counted 45 Meadow Pipits heading south, and 49 House Martins which were basically just feeding. There were still at least seven Shovelers on the nearest flash, but this time the cows didn't help me out so I had poor counts of Teal, Snipe etc.

When the sun came out I spotted a Willow Emerald damselfly dangling in the hedge by the flash field.

Willow Emerald

Our garden somewhat bucked the trend as I found a new bug, Cinnamon Bug while I was gardening on Wednesday. 

Cinnamon Bug Corizus hyoscyami

My app identified September Cranefly Tipula paludosa in my moth trap this morning. There were 51 actual moths, 26 of which were Lunar Underwings (new for the year).

Lunar Underwing

Going back to birds, Tony Kelly caught a remarkable 54 Blackcaps (and 12 Chiffchaffs) at the sewage works earlier this week. It always amazes me how many Blackcaps are caught in mist nets in autumn compared to the number I actually manage to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment