This morning it rained, well drizzled, constantly until I arrived at Earlswood. A light westerly and grey clouds overhead made it feel like autumn really has arrived.
As I donned my wellies in the Malthouse carpark a steady stream of Tits kept me entertained, and with them several Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap. Yep, definitely autumn.
I had one goal, which was to see the second calendar year Yellow-legged Gull which John had recently photographed. The usual fifth calendar year bird was still present, and it didn't take me long to locate the 2cy bird.
After that success the remaining visit was on the disappointing side. Nevertheless the dull weather had forced all the hirundines down, and among the 80 or so Swallows were about 25 Sand Martins (not found on the alldayer), and about a dozen House Martins.
Apparently absent were waders. Not even a single Common Sandpiper or Snipe was visible. I ended up at the bottom end of Windmill Pool counting Teal (nine), and noticing at least one Bullfinch (another species missed on Saturday). A Little Egret appeared, but I ended up peering at Docks and wondering how to identify them.
This one is Wood Dock I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment